I could eat breakfast all day – love the stuff! Toast is definitely my vice – sweet, syrupy granola comes a close second though!
However, I’m well aware of how a good breakfast can fuel you for the rest of the day. And, since I’m set to do my first ever 5K run event later on today, I wanted a recipe rich in both iron and protein to see me through.
That’s what I’m hoping my quinoa kedgeree will do. It’s not quite a traditional kedgeree recipe because it uses quinoa instead of rice, and doesn’t include eggs (ick!) but it is packed with a few good things to be going on with.
Hope you enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/3 cup quinoa (any colour will do!)
- 2/3 cup vegetable stock
- 2 asparagus spears, roughly chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped (including as much of the green bit as poss!)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- a few generous slices of smoked salmon, roughly chopped or torn into cubes
- tsp olive oil
- Boil up the quinoa in a pan using the vegetable stock for approx 12 minutes, or until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- About halfway through cooking, add the herbs and spices.
- Meanwhile, lightly fry the garlic, spring onion and asparagus spears in the olive oil.
- Drain the quinoa (if necessary) and combine with the garlic, spring onion and asparagus on a plate.
- Top with the smoked salmon, serve and enjoy!